Saturday, January 27, 2007

If You Read This Blog, You Will Have Good Luck

I have some odd habits and odd quirks. I feel I can justify how superstitious I am by simply questioning why take the risk whether or not its true? Not that I get questioned on it often. Its a fun discussion; its difficult to incorporate history into everyday conversation so I leap at every chance I get. That is yet another thing I love about my job, the environment and people.

Is it just me or do others also realize, later in life, that they've had a habit that they never realized? For instance, I've realized that I tend to go out of my way to avoid walking under something. I'm not obsessive like Jack Nicholson in
As Good As It Gets, I don't cross a street to avoid walking under an awning. Also, that I always sleep nearest to the door in a hotel. That's not so neurotic. I mean, if someone broke in I would obviously have less distance to run if I were closer to the door. I don't care for that running thing much.

And then there's the dreaded squeak. My ex pointed this out years ago and I had never noticed before. Now I notice it every time. Bitch. So, I have two laughs really. One, a loud normal-type of laugh; two, the prepubescent school girl giggle. Lucky for me, I also do this little squeak in my throat when I giggle, I guess. Worse, if I am doing something sneaky - Like scaring people because its fun - I'll likely squeak and give myself away. Its retarded. Atleast I don't say
hambuger every time I giggle, I guess.

Anyway, that long, unnecessary introduction aside, my habit of reading Xena Fanfiction has returned. This phenomena happens approximately once every year and lasts about two weeks. Sadly, much of the good fanfiction sites are disappearing and much fanfiction you find now is poor; its really great when you find the good stories which you are only happy to read again. The story links I am including below are great also for those unfamiliar with Xena and Gabrielle, they do not follow the television timeline. I love my 'Xena the Conqueror' fanfiction.

What's not to love in a story where a simple woman turns a battle-scared tyrant's world upside down; force her to face her emotional demons and teach her to love and be loved.
Er. ...Well, that was kind of sappy. I'm not one of those Xena fanatics, really. God, I am such a lez.

There's disclaimers on the stories if there's sexual content. So, yeah, they all have disclaimers.


Shadows of the Soul by Merwolf
The writers of the first two here are better writers then the ones which follow. This is my favorite of the Conqueror stories. The story archs are believable and the development of their personalities and relationship is well-written.

Penance by Penumbra
A fairly quick read, this is part of a triology.


Conquered by Leslie Ann Miller
This one is a more difficult read for the big Gabrielle fans. Oh, and Alexander is a puss. His character is entirely unbelievable. The dialog between Xena and Gabrielle is why I enjoy this one.

The Edge of Nowhere by Annemaart
This one is a good Gabrielle story. Some of Xena's dialog and/or reactions are a bit unbelievable, but overall this is a good story.

My Lord by Mayt
Its cute, but so sweet it might give you a cavity.

No comments: