Sunday, February 04, 2007

Ready for the Colts

Judging from the lack of comments, it looks like everyone agrees with my stance on Gay Marriage. That was too easy.

I'm not in the mood to talk about gay stuff tonight, I just felt the need to point the lack of comment out. So...

Every September I say, "The Bears are going to the Super Bowl this year" - only half meaning it, I realize now. I've been a fan for so long, this moment is simply surreal. In1986, the last appearance of the Bears in the Super Bowl, I was 9 years old; a huge Bear fan - My mom never cared for football, but she always watched when dad was 'doing' the games. People in the Midwest use the word 'doing' a lot, fyi. It's a Midwest thing, not a New York thing like Joey Tribbiani would lead you to believe.

It is so funny to assert that sports were an integrated part of my life from a very early age; yet no one in my family was a big sports fan. You see, we were just a fan of my dad. So many Thanksgivings and Christmas holidays were spent without him there, but we had only to turn on NBC to see him. Or well, atleast his name in the credits.

[smiles] It was different on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Those times, there would most often be clips from the crew wishing viewers a happy holiday. So really, he was there with us. Who doesn't like be seeing on TV? It was something that everyone anticipated. A Christmas bonus.

Talking to him the other day, he joked about how 'they' might pull him out of retirement to cover the second Bears Super Bowl. Tickled me to hear him boast about his job and also made me a bit sad because I know he misses it. He won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Sound (I don't think that is the exact title) for Super Bowl XX. Bears vs Patriots. He tries not to let on, but I know how proud he is of it.

Enough nostalgia.

Da Bears 108 Colts 10.

No comments: